In Search Of the Perfect Beach

In Search Of the Perfect Beach
We found this one in Barbados three weeks back

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Something is Missing : An Emotional Visit To Ground Zero One week Later







Our first visit to the US Virgin Islands was because of 9/11. People were afraid to fly. My wife and I wanted to extend the same defiant thought toward the terrorists as we did that first week after 9/11 when we went intoi the city at the call of the mayor who asked New Yorkers to visit the city and keep it alive and running.

That visit seven days later was one I'll never forget. Please read my thoughts and NEVER FORGET!!

This piece has been in the New York City destinations section of Epinions. I have, for a while, wanted to move it. I didn't realize at the time there was a proper home for this contribution.

Shortly after the disaster of September 11th my wife and I went into the city. We live on Long Island. There are parts of the island, when leaving Jones Beach for example, where we are able to see the skyline of New York.

The following letter was written and emailed to many of my family members, close friends, and people we had met from different countries around the world. In it I described some of the feeling, emotions, and experiences my wife and I felt in a visit to the city just seven days after the buildings came down and so many good people, Americans and others from all over the world, lost their lives.

It was titled "Something is missing"

Hello,
Today, one week after the American tragedy Carolyn and I went into the city with our daughter Jennie (14). I have been drawn to the city for a few reasons. Though I have seen pictures on TV time and time again, I had to see it with my own eyes. It wasn't for reasons like having to rubberneck while passing the scene of an accident. There was much more to it. I suppose like a doubting Thomas, I had to see it to believe it. Deep down I wanted to witness the carnage first hand so that I would never forget the evil that is in this world, I wanted my daughter to see it too.

I needed to go down to the makeshift memorials. They are all over the city, in parks, in front of buildings, and at all the firehouses. Cries for loved ones still missing, pictures with hope, pictures in memory, and thoughts and stories from deep within the souls of so many people. Each one I read broke my heart. I needed to see the candles and the outpouring of goodness toward all those who were lost and their families.

Carolyn and I also believe in going on and to continuing with our lives. I don't mean by forgetting the evil deeds that have been committed or putting the thoughts of the catastrophic losses out of our heads. No, we believe that even with all the hurt, we must persevere.

We wanted to support New York. We wanted to go out and be a part of our great city by spending time and money there. We were not going to sit home in fear and have our lives dictated to us.

Carolyn, Jennie, and I were home this morning for the moment of silence marking the one week anniversary of the attack. Afterward we took the Long Island Railroad into the city. On the way we were struck by all the American flags on buildings, homes, cars, businesses,and many other places.

Just before going into the tunnel, under the east river, to enter Manhattan, I saw the midtown city skyline. The Empire State building never looked so glorious.

About thirty years ago the twin towers were built. At the time, and being a bit younger, I was annoyed that these buildings were going to shadow the height of the Empire state building. At age twenty or so I grew up with that building being the tallest and felt it was being diminished by the new buildings on the block.

Over the years that feeling left as I experienced much the World Trade Center had to offer. I took my children up there to see the view. To the east one would see the bridges of lower Manhattan. Looking down on the south side you could see the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and the Verazano bridge spanning the entrance of New York harbor. Looking west were the beautiful the Battery Park buildings and you would see the great mainland of the United States beyond. It was the view north that I particularly loved. You were seeing midtown Manhattan and up. The Empire State building and the glimmer of the Chrysler building caught your eye along with all the other buildings of the skyline. All these were in the foreground of beautiful Central Park.

Carolyn and I visited the WTC many times. We would go into the city in the morning and take a subway off boarding directly under the Twin Towers. There was a beautiful promenade down there. We would then go up the "TKKTS" booth that was housed inside the tower. We would choose a Broadway play to see that evening at a discounted price. Afterward we would go up to Windows of the World, a restaurant on the 102nd floor, and have lunch. We enjoyed it up there very much and brought many guests there over the years.

Back to our day in New York. As we continued traveling into the city, looking at the New York skyline, the train entered the tunnel going under the river. I must say it was a strange feeling I had as the lights flickered and the trains rumbling echoed in the tunnel.

As we got off the train and entered Penn Station we were greeted by a huge American flag. We walked through and came out at 7th Ave, walked half a block, looked up and stared at the Empire State Building. As we walked under it I couldn't imagine how two buildings, even taller than this one, came down into a pile of rubble and twisted steel!

The three of us went down to Union Square on 14th street. That was the rallying point for many people the previous week. It was the closest one could get to the WTC remains at the time.

I suppose I really wasn't ready for what I saw or how it would make me feel. The pictures, the letters, the pleas for missing family and friends was overwhelming. Many people were there. Also media from around the world. Everyone was silent or spoke in whispers.

This was a place to pay respects. I thought of the missing and the dead. As I stood there I thought of all the families, over three thousand that were waiting for loved ones who would never come home. I thought of the brave fireman, police, EMT's and all the other rescue workers that ran into those buildings to help others and to never come out themselves. My mind went to all the fire and rescue people still at the scene digging with their bare hands hoping to save at just one more person.

While we were there a group of United Airline workers arrived and set up candles, pictures, and notes dedicated to the co-workers they lost.

Carolyn, Jennie, and I saw so much love, hope, tears, and heartbreak at this site. There was music being played by some who felt they just had to give of themselves and try to heal through music. Many churches had ministers talking with people. We saw two outlines of flowers about twenty feet long designed as the WTC itself with candles, notes, and pictures within. There was a tree with paper origami doves. Two woman from Africa were up in New York to make a display for a flower show. The show was canceled. They decided to donate their flowers and time and made a beautiful American flag with roses and other flowers. There was so much to see and feel, but all could not be absorbed.

In the street was a huge bronze statue on a flatbed. The statue depicted a firefighter on one knee, with his hat on the ground, hand to his head, and tears in his eyes.

I could go on and on. This was just one of the many makeshift memorials throughout the city.

We left the park and went downtown close to the area now known as "ground zero". As we came up the steps of the subway we first were struck by the odor. The smell of smoke filled our lungs. It was heavy and suffocating. Next, it was the dust. It was everywhere and on everything, on all the walls of buildings, the window sills, and the canopies of businesses. I could only imagine what all those in the neighborhood experienced as the smoke and debris came rushing through the streets.

We walked on, it was eerie, people walked to and from their offices, but they seemed lifeless. We saw the stock exchange, recently cleaned, bearing a huge American flag.

We continued on and turned a corner. There was an orderly line. It progressed up the street where, out from behind some other tall buildings, came the view of what was left of the World Trade Center. You have all seen the pictures but they still do not prepare you for the reality and the finality of the ruins.

I looked, I saw, and I had to move on. Yes, the evil did happen.

The three of us then went uptown to complete our day. We did go out to eat, and we did see a show that night. It really didn't feel right, yet, I believe we did the correct thing.

After dinner and before the show we went to Central Park to relax a while. We went past the John Lennon memorial
"Strawberry Fields". There were many pictures and notes there too. We went to the lake, we sat back and it was very strange how just a couple of miles uptown everything seemed as it always has been, people strolling along walking their dogs, couples in rowboats on the lake,and young families enjoying each other. I think that was comforting.

This whole incident has made me very sad and also very angry. We must fight back to eradicate this world of insidious creatures that hold no value for life or our way of living. The people of this nation and all freedom loving people must have the resolve to see this through.

We as a people have to learn to appreciate each other more and realize how blessed we truly are in this country.

I will try to do my part by helping others, by continuing to live without fear, and most of all through prayer and my belief in God.

Those buildings that I was annoyed at years ago, I miss them very much. There are also too many people who will always miss their loved ones. We will rebuild one day and the spirit that is America will continue on.

Phil



That letter was written one week after September 11th. Much has happened and much is still to be done. Let me say that our city thrives. I was born in NY and lived my younger years in the city. As an adult I visit New York regularly and do business there.

Just last night I was coming home from a business trip. I sometimes opt, as I did last night, to take a route by the name of the BQE (Brooklyn Queens Expressway.) It is generally a slower rout to take home but it has a view that can't be beat. As you travel along the east river you see the New York City skyline in all it's glory. I passed lower Manhattan with it's gleaming building. I saw the bridges of the city looking like bright necklaces of pearls. And then I saw the magnificent Empire State Building lit up in red, white, and blue. As I looked at all of this I also thought again of the hurt of so many. I also thought of the good so many have done in this crisis.



Remember this is the city with the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Battery Park, the MET. MOMA, and many other fine museums. You must see Times Square, Rockefeller Center,the Empire State Building, Radio City Music Hall, Wall Street, and the South Street Seaport. The Plaza, the Waldorf,and the Piere Hotels are other landmarks. New York has Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall, the UN, the Brooklyn Bridge, Central Park, Broadway, and so much, much more.
New York has been hurt, but it still offers so much. Come to New York, show your solidarity. New York is back but it still wants and needs you.


Be sure to read about New York City Destinations as reviewed by pops.

Downtown Manhattan 9/11 Memorials

More NYC reviewsNew York City. As told by a Noo Yawka

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a 60ish fellow that loves life with his wife, children and grandchildren. My wife and I now travel as often as we can. The Caribbean is our favorite destination whether exploring an island for a couple of weeks or making stops here and there via cruise ships. At our age we have decided that looking for the perfect place to snorkel is our #1 goal in life. I've posted many travel reviews on the Internet that I hope to share them here on my blog.