In Search Of the Perfect Beach

In Search Of the Perfect Beach
We found this one in Barbados three weeks back

Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Jones Beach Tower Is Missing Its Top. What About the Secret Inside?











My wife Carolyn and I took our eight minute drive down to Jones Beach today. One of the major landmarks was different. The Jones Beach Tower was missing its top!
The iconic water tower was part of the Jones Beach construction in the 1920s. It holds almost half a million gallons of water used in Jones Beach State Park for its facilities including pools in the two art deco bath houses. It was inspired by the Campanile di San Marco, the bell tower that offers an incredible view of Venice. My wife and I were privy to stand atop that 323' tower some ten years ago as part of our incredible trip to Italy.
The Jones Beach Tower has its own history. A cousin of mine used the tower as the setting to propose to his one-day-to-be wife. They continue to be happily married.
The Jones Beach tower and the Campanile di San Marco do share iconic stature and an intimacy of romantisism however the American obelisk is different than its Italian inpiration. It has held a secret that only a few knew of. I was out of the loop myself but was fortunate to have met my wife at age 16 at Jones Beach under the shadow of the Jones Beach tower. She knew the secret that she learned as a young child and in turn shared the secret with me.
The Jones Beach Tower is filled with M&Ms!
Be sure to read more of my thoughts and secrets about Jones Beach here...
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a 60ish fellow that loves life with his wife, children and grandchildren. My wife and I now travel as often as we can. The Caribbean is our favorite destination whether exploring an island for a couple of weeks or making stops here and there via cruise ships. At our age we have decided that looking for the perfect place to snorkel is our #1 goal in life. I've posted many travel reviews on the Internet that I hope to share them here on my blog.