In Search Of the Perfect Beach

In Search Of the Perfect Beach
We found this one in Barbados three weeks back

Monday, April 5, 2010

Just came back from the Queens Wildlife Center...a small zoo that's perfect for kids
























































My wife and I just came back from a trip to the Queens Zoo. "Queens Wildlife Center. " We had two of our grand daughters with us ages 5 and 7. We had a wonderful time spending about three hours starting with the Carousel and then moving to the zoo. The highlights were the sea lions being fed and coyotes running in a pack. The learning center was open and both girls were presented canvas bags that were training the little ones about the advantages of being "Green." The girls used cutout of animals to trace images on the bags to be coloured in. Granma did much of the additional artwork and labeled each bag with their names. The kids also did puzzles, worked with puppets and played in a "shopping"area. There were some excellent children's books available to read to them.

I visite the Queens Zoo a few years back and except for the price going up to $7 adult and $2 children most everything else is the same. Here are some thoughts from that time.

Having some business in Queens and a few hours to kill I thought I would check out the Queens Wildlife Center and the Hall of Science Pavilion right next door. I've been to the Hall of Science a number of times over the years, actually many years. It was first built as an attraction at the 1963-64 New York World's Fair. The grounds used hundreds of acres, some of which have structures from that time.

One area that was cleared from the fairgrounds site is a section that is now home of the Queens Zoo or Queens Wildlife Center as it is also known as.

This is a relatively small zoo, just 11 acres, as compared to the Bronx Zoo and it may even be smaller in area as the Central Park Zoo also known as a Nature Center. I'm not sure I would suggest this zoo to out-of-towners unless they have particular love of animals. It's a bit off the beaten path. It is an excellent choice if visiting the Hall of Science next door. It's perhaps a 1/4 mile walk away. Park at either one for both. There is an in season parking charge. No fee was taken when I was there.

They open everyday at 10am and close depending on season either 4:30pm or 5:30pm. other info can be gotten from their site at
www.queenszoo.com or calling 1 (718) 271-1500

Entry

Though it's small I was VERY pleasantly surprised. First I just loved the price $5.00 Adults, $1.00 Children. In less than ten years I will be able to get the senior rate of $1.50. There are perks to gettin' older.

This zoo, that is set in natural looking habitats, directs most of its attention to North American animals. Before giving up my 5 bucks I asked the silly question as to whether the animals and the zoo are active at this time of year or are the animals possibly brought to warmer environments, there are no enclosures in this zoo except for the aviary. I suppose I wasn't thinking because the fact was, I was more uncomfortable with the weather than these animals were.

After paying my ticket price I was given a map and I also saw a plastic, sort of cellophane, red thing. I asked what it was and was told it's for kids to find the answer to mystery questions. After seeing a few of these question and answer boards throughout the zoo, I thought it was a wonderful idea!

One example was in front of the puma exhibit. The question was something like, "What happened here?". In the puma's habitat were rib bones and a skull close to the viewing area. The kids could try and figure out what they were on their own and then go to the "secret answer" using their red wand. The answer in this case referred to the bones being all that was left of a white tailed deer that the puma fed on. There were questions and answers like this throughout the zoo. I could see the kids running from site to site to do these. I thought they were all exceptional in making kids think and the way they were presented. Each question and answer were set at "kids" heights.

The zoo also did a fine job in the presentation of a sort of story board explaining how the animals lived, showed dominance, mated and gave birth. Yes, there are drawings of animals in mating positions. It was all well done and quite informative in simple text.

Layout

The zoo is set up in one fairly level loop with some small inner loops, just a few feet in distance, that brought the viewers closer to the animals habitats. There were first some areas with water birds. They had the best examples of drawings so as to identify birds as I have seen anywhere. These placards were at a number of viewing stations. Once again I was impressed.

The loop continued to points where I could see a lynx pacing just a few feet in front of me, very cool. When I moved onto the Puma habitat I couldn't see him at first, then I noticed his head just under an outcrop of rock. He looked bigger than I imagined. I moved on and was again pleasantly surprised to find another viewing station just feet from that outcrop of rocks. The puma looked even bigger.

The owls display was cool and the Roosevelt elk, though a bit in the distance were magnificent looking animals. The four or five coyote were pacing around in there large habitat. It must have been near feeding time for them.

A geodesic dome, that was once part of a science exhibit during the 1963-64 New York World's Fair now houses an aviary. Unfortunately that and the alligator section were closed for the season.

Another area of note was the sea lion pools. These natural looking surroundings has three of for of these animals that were quite active waiting for their 1:45 feeding. It was 1:45 but the attendants weren't there yet. Just across from the sea lions is an area with vending machines and tables and chairs. I was hungry myself and it was my feeding time too so I went and got a Nathan's hot dog out of the freezer vending machine and popped it into the microwave oven. Restrooms are also nearby. By the time I could say "mustard" the attendants showed up at the sea lion pool and worked with the animals, giving them some food for their efforts. Hey I was so hungry I would have rolled over for a hunk of that fish. Three guys worked with the animals separately. It was interesting to watch.

I continued around the loop to the closed Prairie Dog area. It's under renovation. I'm sure they will have Fresh Meadows Phil back for Ground Hog Day. He has become a local favorite in NYC for his spring predictions.

The bison were close by, just ten feet or so, feeding on what looked like hay. The Bald Eagles were the only animals that seemed forlorn at this zoo. They must be clipped because the area above them is open. One I know was there after being injured by an airplane. They named the birds Claire and Mel.

I then checked out the new Thick Billed Parrot habitat that had the largest of protective areas the zoo offers. There were a few other smaller wooden enclosures. Most everything is outside in this park and there really isn't any shelter in case of heavy rain.

The last animal on the loop are two "Spectacled Bears" I never saw them before. Distinct white circles around their eyes are the reason for the name. They were out in the open to see. That's what I really enjoyed about this zoo. I was able to see most of the animals, up close and ina natural looking environment.

Domestic Animals

Just across from the main zoo area is another farm-like exhibit that has an abundance of domestic animals. I caught the mixed odor of sheep, lama, horses, pigs, goats, and cow "stuff" as soon as I crossed the path. They were well attended in fine surroundings, the animals, not the "stuff'. I didn't spend much time here at all, not having too many quarters to buy animal feed from little vending machines.

Also, just outside these two animal centers, the wild and domestic is a carousel. It's called "The Carousel in the Park". It wasn't open and probably just seasonal, but it's good to see.

Last Thoughts

I never would have thought I was going to give this small zoo four stars but the intimacy of it with excellent information at the viewing stations, the set ups that were kid friendly, and the overall feel of the park made this an excellent value for the price.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a 60ish fellow that loves life with his wife, children and grandchildren. My wife and I now travel as often as we can. The Caribbean is our favorite destination whether exploring an island for a couple of weeks or making stops here and there via cruise ships. At our age we have decided that looking for the perfect place to snorkel is our #1 goal in life. I've posted many travel reviews on the Internet that I hope to share them here on my blog.