In Search Of the Perfect Beach

In Search Of the Perfect Beach
We found this one in Barbados three weeks back

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Pops Home: Filled with treasured memories

and so I add the second in the series of Pops Home: Filled With Treasured Memories

Part #2 of Treasured Memories in our home.

The memories are in no specific order by date or importance. Each is but another nugget stored in our treasure chest of memories, called home.

----------------------------------------------------
This Is Our House!

It was back in 1974 that my wife and I were able to purchase our home in Freeport on the south shore of Long Island. We lived in the town for two years renting an apartment when we first married. Freeport had the diversity we looked for and proximity to all we desired. We decided to call it our home.

Because I was working as a commission salesman in a big ticket department in Sears at 18, while my wife continued her studies in art education, I was able to save some money. With a little help from my parents, we purchased our home that had a kitchen, formal dining room, large living room, four bedrooms, two baths, a basement and an attic on a quarter acre plot of land.

After the closing my wife and I went to our new house. I was extremely excited. I recall being in the empty structure with our voices echoing as I was shouting, "This is OUR house!! This is OUR house!! I'll never forget my doing somersaults across the huge living room floor. I was like a little kid who couldn't express himself and acted out in silly ways. It was an a wonderful feeling to have a place we could call our own.

This totally empty house would soon start to collect the memories that make it our home.

Making It Into Our Home

We moved in and started to decorate the house to our liking. I was awed by the way my wife could visualize an empty room as finished in colour, furnishings and arrangement. This was a part of her that has continues to amaze me through the past 34 years in our home. When younger we would travel locally and across the states. She would find something and purchase it saying she would use it in our home. More often than not it would be stored away until the next project of a room began. I would prep and paint the room and she would later bring out the stored items that were practical and filled the room perfectly in colour and good taste. She had a picture of the room in her mind well before the process of making it happen even started. Did I tell you this amazes me?

There have been a multitude of times over the years when friends have stated her design, colours and arrangements should be in home magazines. I have always been very proud of marrying a gal who could work that kind of magic.

Not everything came easily to me though. Sometimes she had me doing what I thought were the weirdest thing in decorating. All I could do was let my faith in her talent and skills lead me to another finished project that would once again astound me.

I recall one year stapling yards and yards of yellow/orange and red gingham on the wall and ceiling of our dining room to give the effect she wanted. She sewed them all together and I hung it using 12,642 staples. OK, so I really don't know how many but it was a lot. The finished room was beautiful and quite romantic. Ha, I'll never forget the abstract nude that she painted and placed over my head as I sat at the head of our dining room table. Fortunately a lighted candle never fell over and ignited the walls and ceiling of that room, although even that scene would not match how spectacular her work has always been.

Paint Colour on Walls May Change But Memories Never Fade

Being an artist my wife has a yearning to change things fairly often. I recall one wall in our living room, 9' X 20' where she painted a landscape that had a Monet' feel to it. It was subdued yet stunning! Just a couple-a-few years later she stated she was ready for a change and I couldn't help but feeling I was being disrespectful and insolent as I painted over that artistic work of hers. To my wife, it was just a start to another project.

I won't let her change the looks of our bedroom though. She painted it up like a scene in the Caribbean. It's in pastel colours and I have palm trees in front of me and over my head. The bed is painted like we are on a calm turquoise sea and the light beige carpeting is the sand I place my bare feet on.

Each morning I get up I continue to be in awe of her work surrounding me. It's hard to believe that I am living in New York State yet I awake in a tropical paradise.

Our home is perhaps a bit more staid now that we have gotten older. That said she has her "signature" in most every room whether it be colour, design or her own hand painted piece of work. A few of our walls are about to get another coat of paint. The colours and designs of rooms-past may be hidden by new coats of paint but the memories of good times had in them are bright as day and will remain forever.

END
Pops Home: Filled With Treasured Memories #2



Pops Home: Filled With Treasured Memories #1
Pops Home: Filled With Treasured Memories #3
Pops Home: Filled With Treasured Memories #4
Pops Home: Filled With Treasured Memories #5
Pops Home: Filled With Treasured Memories #6
Pops Home: Filled With Treasured Memories #7
Pops Home: Filled With Treasured Memories #8
Pops Home: Filled With Treasured Memories #9
Pops Home: Filled With Treasured Memories #10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a 60ish fellow that loves life with his wife, children and grandchildren. My wife and I now travel as often as we can. The Caribbean is our favorite destination whether exploring an island for a couple of weeks or making stops here and there via cruise ships. At our age we have decided that looking for the perfect place to snorkel is our #1 goal in life. I've posted many travel reviews on the Internet that I hope to share them here on my blog.