In Search Of the Perfect Beach

In Search Of the Perfect Beach
We found this one in Barbados three weeks back

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Getting Out Of Deep Water


Long Island, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Mass, and New Jersey have been struck with a deluge of rain storms this week and a wind storm with plenty of rain two weeks ago. It's been a disaster for some home owners.
I happen to live in a seaside community that is used to flooding but even here in Freeport, Long Island flooding has been unusually bad. Sump pumps have been working tirelessly but even those homes that don't have a sump pump because there's usually not a flood problem have been indeed flooded.
The Flotec 1/6 HP pump (also known as Tempest Thermoplastic Submersible Utility Pump 1/6hp and 1470gph Max) is excellent for pumping out water down to about 1/2." I happen to use this to empty my above ground swimming pool every year. It's perfect. What it doesn't have is a shut off. The plug must be pulled to shut it down and the directions note that water needs to be going through the pump to keep it from shutting down. This can be attached to a 3/4" garden hose. The adapter comes with the unit. Our local Home Depot can't keep these in stock now. I strongly suggest everyone in any kind of floor or high rain area to have this handy little pump that goes for about $85 in their home.
Man, I gotta tell ya. I really feel for my Freeport neighbors that are dealing with all this flooding. It makes me want to go to some Caribbean Island and do some snorkeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a 60ish fellow that loves life with his wife, children and grandchildren. My wife and I now travel as often as we can. The Caribbean is our favorite destination whether exploring an island for a couple of weeks or making stops here and there via cruise ships. At our age we have decided that looking for the perfect place to snorkel is our #1 goal in life. I've posted many travel reviews on the Internet that I hope to share them here on my blog.