In Search Of the Perfect Beach

In Search Of the Perfect Beach
We found this one in Barbados three weeks back

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Barbados Museum. Learnin' the history and much more of this island.

My wife and I enjoyed a few hours last month at the Barbados Museum and Historical Society thta was a short walk from our hotel. Here's more...

Along with the surf, sun and snorkeling on and around Caribbean Islands I also enjoy learning about the history of the islands I visit. Barbados was no exception especially when able to visit the Barbados Museum and Historical Society.

The museum is housed in what was once a British prison in the Garrison section of Barbados just outside their largest city, Bridgetown.

Our Visit

We stayed at a small resort the Coconut Court Beach Hotel that is quite close to the Garrison. In fact a three minute walk brought us to what was once the parade grounds and is now a popular race track where early morning runs of thoroughbred horses is a delight to see.

My wife and I walked the fifteen minute distance to the Barbados Museum and Historical Society. The structure that was once a prison is well maintained and the people who run the place friendly and professional. We paid the small amount and were given guides. We were also given very specific direction as to each room and section of the complex we should go to. Some rooms were air conditioned and some were not. The a/c, I believe was more for the preservation of particular artifacts rather than giving the vistors comfort. I was comfortable throughout the your.

The museums layout was easy to explore and learn from. Displays were well marked. The museum gave much natural history and talked of the islands make-up. Because my wife and I particularly enjoy snorkeling the sea life exhibit was a big draw to us.

I was quite impressed with the artifacts of the Caribbeans first inhabitants, the Amerindians. The displays offered more than I expected giving great detail to the history of the island.

The rooms dedicated to slavery and the heroes of the anti-slavery movement quite touching. It was also NOT white-washed.

Some of the rooms were open to move about in. Once in a courtyard we were able to peer through open windows into rooms filled with
antiques from long gone plantation houses. I thought that method of display unique and effective.

Last Thoughts

I believe this a MUST SEE stop if in Barbados. The setting is laid back yet quite informative. Each room is well displayed and has information to read at your own pace.

For people taking excursions of cruise ships in Bridgetown its but a three minute cab ride out of Bridgetown. I walked the distance from Bridgetown and it took perhaps fifteen twenty minutes.  Doing the museum needent take more than an hour and a half so other excursions fill in the rest of the day. For those into forts, cannon and USA president George Washington there's much more in the Garrison district to explore without further travel. 

A suggestion is to do the Garrison district and then make arrangement to stay at Coconut Court Beach hotel to use their facilities, have lunch and enjoy their beach. It's just a couple of miles from Bridgetown. For those looking to walk Carlisle Bay Beach is quite beautiful, has some eateries around and for snorkelers ask where the  ship wrecks are. They are an easy swim from shore.

The Barbados Museum and Historical Society makes for an excellent introduction to the island. I strongly recommend it!

Barbados, Loving It One day at a Time

St Nicholas Abbey, Barbados

We Stayed at and recommend Coconut Court Beach Hotel, Barbados

Bridgetown, Barbados, The Cruise Ship Port in Barbados

Oistins, A Place to Go and DO when staying in Barbados

Grantley International Airport

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a 60ish fellow that loves life with his wife, children and grandchildren. My wife and I now travel as often as we can. The Caribbean is our favorite destination whether exploring an island for a couple of weeks or making stops here and there via cruise ships. At our age we have decided that looking for the perfect place to snorkel is our #1 goal in life. I've posted many travel reviews on the Internet that I hope to share them here on my blog.